The 2010 International Cities of Migration Conference, Oct. 3–4, 2010, brought together 170 migration experts, practitioners and city leaders from over 70 cities across 22 countries. Participant feedback has been exceptionally strong identifying positive messages about the value of diversity and local integration practices that work. Participants went home with practical lessons based on the success of local integration initiatives and good ideas on immigrant integration, diversity and city leadership.
Cities of Migration wants to share their conference learning exchanges with you. As our participants continue to share their learning, we ask you to imagine how these ideas might travel and make a contribution to the prosperity and sustainability of your own cities of migration….
Read, listen, and watch excellent media reports in English, French, and Spanish!
From Toronto, Canada
- Ratna Omidvar, President, Maytree: radio interview on CBC’s Here and Now (2010-10-13)
- Jehad Aliweiwi, Thorncliffe Neighbourhood Office: radio interview on CBC’s Metro Morning (2010-10-07)
From Paris, France
- Rokhaya Diallo, Les Indivisibles: national television interview on Canal-Plus, Chronique “Vu ailleurs” Cities of Migrations à La Haye (2010-10-08) – In French!
From Barcelona, Spain
- Michaela Hertel, Fundació Bertelsmann: radio interview on Barcelona’s Com Ràdio: “Cities of Migration”: La ciutat, els nouvinguts i la comunicació (2010-10-08)– in Spanish and Catalan!
From London, UK
Various conference participants published their conference articles on Open Democracy:
- Jessica Sims, Runnymede Trust: Cities of Migration- what works to integrate urban immigrants? (2010-10-27)
- Juan Camilo Cock, Migrant Rights’ Network: Integration: a two way process (2010-10-27)
- Nazek Ramadan, Migrant Voice: Globalising the city (2010-11-08)
- Raheel Mohammed, The Young Foundation: Language, Health and Migration (2010-11-08)
From New Haven, USA
- Mayor John DeStefano, City of New Haven: “Mayor’s Abroad” article in The New Haven Independent (2010-10-04)